How to link to a document in your Navigation Menu
Adding a link to a document, such in your navigation menu gives your visitors a quick way to access a document (such as a PDF). Here are the steps!
Upload the document to your File Manager
The first step is to upload the document to your website's File Manager.
- Click on Files in the blue Admin Toolbar to open your site's File Manager.
- Next, click the Documents tab
- Click Upload File.
Then, select the file you want to upload from your computer.
NOTE: It is best to upload and link to PDF documents (.pdf) on your site. Avoid uploading files that require a specific type of software to view, such as Microsoft Word documents (.doc).
Copy the document's permalink
Once the document has uploaded to your site, the next step is to find and copy its permalink.
- Locate the file in the list of documents in your site's File Manager.
- Hover your cursor over the file and then click the magnifying glass icon to view the file's details.
- Copy the document's permalink address. (One easy way to do this is to right-click on the permalink and select Copy Link Address.)
Then click the green OK button to close the dialog.
Create a link in the Site Map Editor
Now that the document has been uploaded and you have its permalink, the next step is to create a link to the document in the Site Map Editor.
- Click Site Map in the blue Admin Toolbar, which will open the Site Map Editor.
- Locate the Link icon in the Site Map Toolbar, and drag the icon into the Site Map Editor (illustrated below). Drop the element exactly where you want it to appear in your navigation menu.
You will then be prompted to finish creating the new link by defining certain details.
- Link Name - Enter the title that you want to appear in your site's navigation menu. (Keep it short!)
- Link Type - When linking to a document, be sure External is selected.
- Link URL - Paste the document's permalink into this field. (e.g., https://yoursite.com/documents/2017/2/Faith-Formation_Schedule.pdf)
- Display in Navigation - Toggle to On if you would like the link to be visible in your navigation menu.
Once you've entered all the required information, click Save to create the link. Once you Save and Exit the Site Map, be sure to test the link in your navigation.