Gallery module - How it works
The Gallery module allows you to:
- Create a new Gallery Photo Album that can display your images in a slideshow format on your site’s interior pages.
- Display images from an existing photo album (created using the Photo Album module) in a slideshow format on your site’s interior pages.
Follow the specific steps below to use the Gallery module on your site!
How to create a new Gallery Photo Album
Here’s how to use the Gallery module to create a new Gallery Photo Album (i.e., a photo album that displays images in the gallery/slideshow format).
Drag and drop the Gallery module onto the page
Navigate to the page on which you would like the Gallery Photo Album to appear. Then, click Add Content > Core Modules, and click to drag and drop the Gallery module onto the page.
NOTE: The Gallery module cannot be added to the homepage; it is only available on your site’s interior pages. Use the homepage slideshow to create a gallery of photos on your homepage.
Create a new Gallery Photo Album
Once the Gallery module has been added to the page, the Gallery Settings dialog will appear (pictured below).
- Assign the gallery a name in the New Gallery Photo Album Name field.
- Select On in the Auto-Advance setting if you’d like the gallery to automatically transition through photos after a specified amount of time.
- You will then be prompted to define the amount of time after which the photos should transition. (Select a value between 3-10 seconds.)
Once you’ve entered all the appropriate information, click Save to create the new Gallery Photo Album.
Add photos to the gallery
Next, click the + icon (located in the top corner of the empty Gallery module - pictured below) to begin uploading photos into the gallery. Select the appropriate images from your computer’s files. Once the upload is complete, the photos will appear in the Gallery module.
NOTE: Adding a new Gallery Photo Album using the Gallery module (as outlined in these steps) also creates a new Photo Album on the page. (i.e., The Gallery Photo Album will also appear in the Photo Album module if the Photo Album module is added to the page.)
Organize photos and add captions
Once photos have been added to the Gallery Photo Album, you can add captions and edit the order in which the images appear.
To do this, hover your cursor over the gallery itself and click the settings icon. Then click the Edit Photo Album button, which will launch the new gallery photo album’s page. Once there, you can make the following changes:
- Organize photos - Drag and drop to organize the order of the photos.
- Delete photos - Hover your cursor over an individual photo and click the trash can icon.
- Add captions - Hover your cursor over an individual photo and click the settings icon to open the Image dialog. Enter the caption in the Caption field, then click Save.
- Add photos - Click Add Photos in the bottom left corner of the page to upload more photos into the album.
Power Feature: Adding + organizing a new gallery photo album
If you’d like to create a new Gallery Photo Album, and then add + organize photos in one place, follow these modified steps:
- Assign the new Gallery Photo Album a name (as explained in Step 2). Then, instead of clicking Save to create the album, click Edit Photo Album. This will create the Gallery Photo Album and take you directly to the new album’s page.
- From there, you can follow the instructions listed in Step 4 (above) to upload, organize, and edit your photos.
Don’t forget to publish the page when finished!
Use the Gallery module to display an existing photo album
You can use the Gallery module to display an existing photo album in the beautiful gallery format. Just follow the steps below!
Drag and drop the Gallery module onto the page
Navigate to the page on which the existing photo album is already located. Then, click Add Content > Core Modules, and click to drag and drop the Gallery module onto the page.
Select an existing photo album
If the page already contains more than one existing photo album (created using the Photo Album module), the Gallery module will automatically display photos from the most recently created album. If this is the album you’d like to display using the Gallery format, perfect! Move on to Step 3.
However, if you want to select a different existing album, follow these steps:
- Click on the settings icon at the top right of the Gallery module to open the Gallery Settings dialog.
- Use the Link to Existing Photo Album drop-down (pictured below) to select the appropriate Photo Album you’d like to display in the Gallery format.
Once finished, click Save.
Publish the page
If you’d like, you can follow the instructions listed in Step 4 above to organize the photos and add captions. Once you’ve finished, be sure to publish the page.