How to set up Google Analytics for your website
In order to take management of your website to the next level and begin tracking stats, we recommend setting up a Google Analytics account. Setting up an account is simple, and adding Google Analytics to your eCatholic website is incredibly easy! Here's what you need to do:
Get your Google Analytics tracking code
First, set up a Google Analytics account if you don't already have one.
Once you're logged in to your Google Analytics account, follow the instructions from Google posted in the following help article: [GA4] Set up Analytics for a website and/or app. (The specific instructions for locating your tracking code can be found under the "Add the tag to a website builder or CMS-hosted website." heading in the article.)
- Click on the Admin settings gear in the bottom-left.
- If you have multiple accounts and properties you will need to select those:
- Select an account from the menu in the ACCOUNT column
- Select a property from the menu in the PROPERTY column.
- Otherwise, your one account and property will be automatically selected.
- Click on Data Streams
- Under Choose a Platform, select Web
- Name and create your Data Stream:
- Under your new Data Stream, click View tag Instructions:
- Copy the code provided:
Plug the tracking code into your website
Next, return to your eCatholic website and make sure you're logged in to your Admin User account. Click the Admin tab, then Settings, then Google/ <head>, then Google Analytics Code. Paste the tracking info into the text box. Don't forget to click the Publish button at the bottom of the page to save the changes.
NOTE: If you've copied your tracking code and the green Publish button isn't active, click outside the Google Analytics Code / <head> text area to activate the Publish button.
Pro tip: Exclude internal traffic
Google Analytics will detect and measure all traffic on your website, including your own! Check out Google's help article to learn how to exclude internal traffic from your Google Analytics results.
How to view your site's statistics
Once you add the tracking code into your website, that code will allow Google to gather statistics on the usage of your website. (Adding the code doesn't cause anything visible appear on your site.)
You can view the statistics by logging into your Google Analytics account. If you'd like to learn more about how to navigate the interface of your Google Analytics account, check out:
- Four ways to actually use your Google Analytics data to improve your website from the eCatholic blog
- Google's free Google Analytics for Beginners online course