How to create an eCatholic LIVE player
Before you begin broadcasting, consider creating custom players in your eCatholic LIVE Admin Portal. This feature allows you to create function-specific players that you can use to effectively present different types of video content on your website.
For example, you can create the following types of custom players:
- Create a Live & On-Demand player that serves as a one-stop shop for all your public live video content.
- Create a Live Only player that automatically displays live broadcasts in your homepage feature region.
- Create a Category player that collects homily recordings for on-demand viewing.
DIVE DEEPER: Understanding Player Types and how to use them
Follow these instructions to create custom eCatholic LIVE players that you can use on your website.
Go to your eCatholic LIVE Admin Portal
To access your eCatholic LIVE portal, log in to your website, click the down caret next to Websites in the upper left hand corner, and select Live Streaming.
Access the Player Builder
Once in your eCatholic LIVE Admin Portal, go to eCatholic LIVE Tasks > Build & Embed Players (pictured below).
Add a new player
When the eCatholic LIVE Player Builder opens, you will see a default player as well as the option to Add New Player (pictured below). Click Add New Player to begin building your new player.
NOTE: You can add up to four custom players per account.
Edit the player settings
Next, edit the following settings for your new player:
Player Setup options
- Player Name - Enter the name of your new player. By default, the player will be assigned a name that contains the date and admin who created it. The player name is for internal purposes only.
- Player Type - Select if you want the player type to be Live & On-Demand, Live Only, or Category. The type of player you choose ultimately determines the sorts of content that can be displayed in the player.
- Category for Player - When creating a Category player, use the drop-down menu to select an existing archive category. Once created, the Category player will then only display archived content that is marked to be part of the selected category. (Category players only.)
- Video Aspect Ratio - Select the player's aspect ratio as determined by the height and width of your broadcast. (High definition broadcast equipment will produce a 16:9 aspect ratio.)
- Width & Height - As long as you use the eCatholic LIVE module to add players to your website, you may leave the width and height pixel dimensions set to their default values.
- Add Description - (Optional) Select Yes to enter information that will help visitors understand the content they may find within the player.
- Display Next Live Broadcast - Select Yes to allow the player to display the date and time of your next live broadcast when you are not streaming.
- Show Broadcast Schedule - Select Yes to allow the player to display your broadcast schedule to viewers. (Does not include private broadcasts.)
- Enable Subscribers - Select Yes to allow users to subscribe and receive email notifications about the player's broadcast schedule. (Does not include private broadcasts.)
- Enable Chromecast - Select Yes to allow broadcasts to be played over Chromecast systems.
LEARN MORE: Understanding Player Types and how to use them LEARN MORE: How to use Categories to manage your archives EXAMPLE: Enable subscribers for a player that contains recordings of public events that occur over a period of time, such as weekend homilies or home sporting events. Then your subscribers won't miss out on any future recordings.
- Add Branding - Select Yes to customize the player with a unique background image, which will display when the player is not in use.
HINT: Use your logo or a compelling image as your player's background image. For best results, use an image with a 16:9 aspect ratio.
Embed Code optionsWith eCatholic LIVE, you can easily use the eCatholic LIVE module to add a player to your website without using any HTML code. Plus, your player will automatically be mobile responsive whenever you use the eCatholic LIVE module. If needed, you can use the embed code provided to place the player on your website.
Update the player
Once you've finished editing the Player Setup and Branding options, be sure to click Update Player to save your changes (pictured below). The new player will now appear within the eCatholic LIVE Player Builder.
Next step: Embed your eCatholic LIVE player on your website
Adding a live stream to your website is incredibly easy using the eCatholic LIVE module!