How to delete or restore files in the File Manager
The eCatholic File Manager audits your files to identify those that are in use on your website. As a result, only unused files can be deleted. This is a safety feature that:
- Prevents the accidental deletion of live photos or documents.
- Allows you to optimize your site's file storage capacity.
How to delete files
Open the File Manager and locate the file
Click Files on the blue Admin Toolbar to open the File Manager. Locate the file you want to delete, hover your cursor over it, and click the trash can icon to send the file to the trash bin. If the trash can icon is unavailable, move on to step 2.
Remove the file from your live website (if necessary)
If the trash can icon is unavailable, you must first delete the file from your live website. Here are the steps (which are illustrated in the animation below).
- Hover your cursor over the file and click the magnifying glass icon to open the file in the Details View.
- The Details View specifies where the file is in use. Click the link to go directly to the page containing the used file.
- Once there, delete the file from the page, then click Publish.
HINT: Unused files are marked with the unused file indicator, which looks like a broken link icon (illustrated here). The animation below shows how to identify where a file is in use so that it can be deleted from the File Manager.
NOTE: If the file is being used in a module (e.g., the Documents module), be sure to first delete the file itself, not the entire module.
Return to the File Manager and delete the file
Once the file has been removed from your live website, click Files in the blue Admin Toolbar to return to the File Manager. Locate the file, hover your cursor over it, and click the trash can icon to send the file to the trash bin.
Permanently delete (or restore) the file
All deleted files are placed in the trash bin. Click Empty Trash to:
- Permanently delete individual files by clicking the red trash can icon next to the file name (illustrated below).
- Restore individual files by clicking the blue Restore icon next to the file name (illustrated below).
- Permanently delete all files by clicking the red DELETE ALL button.
- Restore all files by clicking the blue RESTORE ALL button.